The Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association (HPBA) hopes you’ll have an enjoyable and safe holiday and winter season. So, to make certain your
hearth is safe, HPBA makes the following recommendations:
- Make certain that the damper is open and the chimney is clear prior to lighting a wood, pellet, or gas fire.
- All chimneys should have a rain cap and spark arrester to prevent roof fires.
- Always have a sturdy tool set close to the fire for tending.
- Keep matches and lighters hidden from small children.
- Have either a glass or close-mesh screen in front of a wood burning fire to contain sparks.
- Place furniture and your Christmas tree at least four feet away from the fireplace.
- Any decoration or stockings should hang at the sides of the mantle.
- For the sake of the environment and possible floating sparks, never burn wrapping paper or other items in your hearth.
- Always watch young children when a fire is going. Fire is very attractive.
- Teach your children to leave the fireplace tending to you.
- Check your smoke detectors for fresh batteries regularly.
- Always follow any instructions given by your hearth products manufacturers.